I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen and have devised a few Kitchen Hacks that help me out. Whether it be cutting down time in the moment, or in a few weeks, these Kitchen Hacks have become part of my routine.
Use A Freezer
- I double batch make a lot of my recipes and freeze the extra portions. I love having homemade frozen meals for those days where making dinner will be a monumental task 🙂
- I also batch cook and freeze
- Cooked Brown Rice – When I’m making rice I tend to double the recipe (or sometimes triple it), and freeze 1 cup baggies. Especially brown rice. This has saved me as I often forget how much time it takes to make rice.
- Diced Onions – Freezing diced onions is personal thing. I cry every time I dice them, so I try to limit the tears.
- Tomato Paste – I buy the can and divide out Tbsp amounts, then freeze them. When a recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of tomato paste, I pull 2 from my freezer.
- *Peeled* Bananas – Peeling a frozen banana is hard…. so when a banana goes brown, I peel it and freeze it.
Keep A Compost Bowl for the Day
This limits how many times I have to go to the garbage, or my compost. It’s a small thing, but big time saver when prepping for meals.
Have the right equipment
Why struggle? The right equipment is definitely a time saver.
My current favourite
toy pieces of equipment are:
- Vidalia Chop Wizard – I love how quick I can cube and chop.
- Instant Pot – Easy pressure cooking without the fear!
- Mueller 4-Blade Spiralizer + Mandoline Slicer – I researched spiralizers and loved that this one worked down as opposed to sideways.
Other miscellaneous tips
- I microwave my sponges and dishrags to disinfect them in between washings.
- I toss a wet soapy dishrag in the microwave for about 45s to clean microwave. The steam from the rag loosens the hard bits. Careful, the rag will be hot!
- To prolong the life of herbs, or boxed salad, I place a paper towel in the bag or box.
Do you have any tips to share? Any kitchen equipment you love?