Yum! I discovered this recipe about a year ago, and I have loved it every time I’ve made it.
The serving size really depends on how much filling you place in each tortilla. I typically get 6 servings.
Sweet Potato, Kale & Black Bean Fajitas
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced, divided (I use 5)
- 1 large bunch of kale, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- pinch freshly ground salt and pepper
- 8 tortillas
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream (I use plain yogurt)
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion and 6 cloves of garlic, minced until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and peppers. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking. Stir in spices (1.5 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder). Turn heat to medium and saute for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute garlic for 1 minute or less until just turning brown. Quickly add black beans and then kale (dripping with water from when you rinsed it). Stir once and cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir and cook until kale is tender and cooked down. Add 1/2 tsp cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat tortillas in a toaster oven. Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup kale mixture, followed by 1/4 cup sweet potato mixture, guacamole, sour cream and cheddar cheese.