I love this Elves Advent Calendar made from toilet paper rolls, paper, and markers.
The original craft called for a few different thing (felt, which I didn’t have) and some sewing (no time), so I modified it. It was a lot of fun to make, and next year, I think I’ll have the girls decorate the hats and bodies.
Hat template (I made a full hat to trace and cut out, since I didn’t want a fold in the paper)
Construction Paper (You can get two bodies and hat per paper)
Toilet paper tubes
Pencil, eraser and scissors
Glue stick or craft glue
1. Using pencil, trace hat and body, 2½- x 6-inch rectangle, onto paper; cut out.
2. Apply glue to wrong side of paper rectangle; adhere around bottom half of tube, aligning long edge of felt with bottom of tube.
3. Apply glue to wrong side of paper hat; adhere around top of roll.
4. With marker, draw face on tube.
5. Decorate and number.
6. Cut a 2 x 2 inch square and tape/stick to bottom. This will stop “treats” from falling through when you pull them off the shelf.
7. Fill tubes with chocolate, or trinkets. Display on a mantel, window ledge or bookshelf. To count down the days leading up to Christmas, empty elf on corresponding day to reveal treat inside and remove number.
I found it best to cut out all the shapes first, and actually, to cut 2 sheets of paper at time so you get 4 hats and bodies with one cutting.
Elmer Glue Stick worked best for me.
Don’t sample the candy, especially if it is Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses. You’ll eat half the bag 🙁