Some things are so obvious, and yet it takes me a while… take for instance my new discovery, how to bake bacon. It is less messy and the bacon smell doesn’t hang around all.day.long.
I also love having bacon on hand for easy, fast breakfasts. I kind of wish I’d thought about baking bacon during my Whole30 journey. It would’ve saved me so much time in the morning.
I had started out baking bacon in a preheated oven (375) for 25 minutes like on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil, and no wire rack. While it worked it, I found this post and gave it a try and now I get perfect baked bacon every time. The only difference I made was that I added a wire rack for more even cooking plus allowing some of the fat to drip.
The advantage of NOT preheating the oven? Less grease splatter all over the oven.
No, turning back I love to bake bacon!
Perfect Baked Bacon
Yield 10 pieces
10 slices of Bacon
- Lay the bacon on a wire rack, on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put the baking sheet in a cold oven.
- Set the oven temperature to 400ºF.
- Allow the bacon cook as the oven heats, for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- I check mine starting at 15 minutes and pull it out when it’s as browned as I like. The longer you cook it, the crispier it will get.Transfer the bacon to paper towels to cool, drain, and crisp up.
- Store leftover cooked bacon in the refrigerator, and reheat for 20 seconds, or so for your next serving.